AAA Prop Assignment – Low Poly: Finished Model And Uv Map

LowPolyFinal_MeshWireframe

Above is the complete low poly model for my AAA assessment made up of 10,753 Faces(21,008 Tris) with its UV map below. While there are some places I could reduce the polycount even more, along the seams and creases especially, i’ve decided to keep these features so it retains it’s silhouette up close, which is how i’ve made it to be viewed, besides I will find it easier to reduce these features later than add them in if I want to.

LowPolyFinal_UVMapping

With the UV map done I will start preparing the hi-poly model for baking next week. I will first exploded the hi and low poly meshes(to reduce errors of intersecting faces in baking) and then add surface details to the hi-poly in zBrush. If I have any more time at the end I would also like to give some basic rigging to the more flexible areas of the low-poly in Maya.

LowPolyFinal_ExspoldedMesh

Example of how the exploded mesh should look.

Baking

LowPolyFinal_NormalMap

Low-poly model with textures baked using xNormal and Normal map

Since my last baking test I have started using the software xNormal rather than Mudbox, as recommended to me by my lecturer for baking my textures and it has so far proven to be far superior and fixed the majority of errors that I mentioned in my previous post at default settings. Bellow is a image showing the low-poly mesh with a normal map baked in xNormal, note this is before exploding the mesh for baking so there are some errors with the raycast due to that.

LowPolyFinal_NormalMapCompar

Close up of normal mapped surface and light angle comparison

As it is now I am pleased with both models, I have had little experience with Maya and hi-poly workflows before this assignment and wanted to use it to help me learn Maya and it’s tool sets better, as I did for Mudbox with the woman sculpt I did this summer. While there are some things, such as the creases and stitching that may have been easier to achieve and more efficient using a sculpting program like Mudbox, sticking to finding workarounds in Maya has helped me learn about tools and workflows I wouldn’t have know about otherwise e.g. extending faces along curves and its limitations for the string and leather edges.

LowPolyFinal_StirngAndCreases

Early test at making the string and creases in Maya using the extend edge on curve function(Left) and final result on the hi-poly model(Right)

While I would have liked the time to rough the leather up a bit in a sculpting program, which would have been a nice addition to the hi-poly model, I don’t feel the model overly suffers for it and using my time to learn about applying surface textures in zBrush will more than make up for it as I wrap this assignment up in the coming month.

Advertisements
AAA Prop Assignment – Low Poly: Finished Model And Uv Map

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s